It’s 12 days post surgery and I can finally move my body. That first week was a doozy! I’ve never had a C-section but this past week and a half I’ve really felt some sympathy for the moms that have. Having your stomach cut open hurts.
Time for a nonsense update.
- Brian and I celebrated 16 years together on December 27th. 16! We are old, but not super old because we were basically children when we were married Here’s a picture of us at the top of the iconic Sydney Harbor Bridge when we were in Australia. Globe trotting with him is the best.
- A friend texted this to me some weeks ago and it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I just love it. Had to text it to Grandmom immediately.
- In December, I hosted a family party and had everyone bring an item for a new-mother’s essentials bag to be donated to an organization that aids refugees. (I found the organization on justserve.org.) I am still kicking myself for not taking any pictures. Why am I so bad at that? Anyway, in the photo below I am dropping off the bags. Here’s what I captioned on my personal Instagram account: “14 polka dot diaper bags full of new-mom essentials for refugees… collected and assembled by 14 awesome families, ready for drop-off at Lifting Hands International. My first thought when I looked at these polka dot bags loaded in the back of my car was that 14 just wasn’t enough. After all, there are so many in need. And for so many things. But have you heard the story of the boy that was throwing starfish back in the ocean along a beach lined with thousands and thousands of starfish? ‘It made a difference to that one.'”
- I made a goal for the year of 2017 to take at least one photo a day. For others, this might be easy, but for me, it doesn’t come naturally. I plan to make a Photo-a-day Chatbook at the end of the year (I love Chatbooks. Moms, you’ve seen their ad right??? Click here if you haven’t.) The pictures aren’t always the best, but I’m getting better at capturing everyday moments. The past few days I’ve been so happy to be able to move again, plus the weather in Arizona is perfect right now, so the picture for Sunday (scootering with Gus and Posey in my church clothes) and Monday (walking with Lou and her right-hand-man) looked like this:
- A gym opened right by our house, and Connor has been excited to finally go. He asked a friend of his to meet him there early one morning, but the friend didn’t show. He texted me this and I knew- he is definitely my son. (Everyone here is aware of my gym anxiety, yes?)
- Which leads me to number 6. My boys are getting older and sometimes it makes me sad. Mainly because when I look back I think, did I hug them enough? Did I tell them enough how awesome they are? Do they know how much I love and adore them? It reminds me of the Peter Pan quote, “Little boys should never be sent to bed. They always wake up a day older.” When you’re raising kids, so often you have to dance along the fine line of being firm so that they grow up to be decent human beings, and being sympathetic and understanding so that they feel self-assured and loved. This motherhood stuff is not for the weak.
- The song for the week is “Get Back Up Again” from the Trolls soundtrack. Heaven knows my road back to being in marathon shape will be long and strenuous, but I will get back up again.