I did pack my bags. And that bag did not include my running shoes (not on purpose.) Oh dear.
Days passed and I’d say to B, “Hey remember when I used to be a runner?”
“Remember that one time I was gonna start a running blog?”
“My run of zero miles this morning went so great. It felt so good.”
We got home and I hopped right on the treadmill and ran 6 miles. I thought it would be painful. I actually felt fantastic.
I got right back into running five days that week and still felt great. Turns out, my legs needed REST. Rest is necessary and part of the training process. I’ve been running and training hard since May with no let up. I hadn’t ever done that before. I got a 5K, 10K, and half-marathon PR on December 14th at this race and after that, my legs were screaming for a break. I was foolishly ignoring them knowing that I would soon start this blog. It was a blessing in disguise that I forgot my shoes (and I realize that there were ways to I could have gotten around it- but sleeping each morning felt so good.)
Here are some pictures from our trip. Time with my family is definitely what I live for. Our family needed this trip in a bad way.
Here’s a little video I made of our week:
Here’s some couldn’t-have-survived-without-them items… just for fun.
1. Parrot Zik Headphones: Best ever travel headphones. I had them on my head for 20 hours on our way to Australia and back and they never bothered me. Amazing sound. This time, Lou stole them right after our plane took off.
2. Crayola Color Wonder Set: Markers are forbidden in my house. They just don’t mix with my crazy kids. The girls got Crayola Color Wonder sets in their stockings and they were in Heaven.
3. Denim shorts: Wore them everyday.
4. Birkenstocks: Wore these everyday too.
5. Seafolly swimsuit: Whoever invented ruching was a mom. I’m sure of it.
6. Lululemon hat: I had what I like to call a “Mexico ‘fro.” I have a lot of hair and I think it doubled in size the moment I stepped off the plane. My Lululemon hat saved my life.
7. Beats Headphones: The boys got these for Christmas and I didn’t hear a peep from them the whole plane ride. Perfect.
8. Polarized Black Ray Bans: I got Lasik surgery 8 years ago so my eyes are sensitive to sunlight. That white sand in Mexico would have blinded me without these.
9. Neutrogena sunscreen: The only sunscreen I’ve discovered you can put on your kids in the morning in the hotel room and know for sure that it will last all day long.
11. Kindle Fire: For the girls to fight over on the airplane.
12. Go-Pro: Most footage in my video was shot with a GoPro. They are soooo fun.
13. Little Canon: My kids were in charge of footage with this one. I need to teach them what “steady” means. Yikes.
14. Lululemon backpack: I wore my backpack everywhere we went. It had snacks, waters, cameras, sunscreen, everything. AND I had two free hands.